Saturday, September 24, 2005

Happy Birthday son!

A big Happy Birthday to azx3!! He's six today, and it just blows my mind. I can't imagine life without him now, and I just marvel at how much he's grown. We've opened some presents this morning, and have a soccer game later today. Then the family is coming over this afternoon for some cake and presents.

Speaking of presents, I just have to share how thankful I am that my sister and aunt were able to be here. They both live in Houston. (insert big audience "ohhhhh") Their adventure started Thursday morning, around 5:30am loading their cars, and then onto the highway, around 8am. As of 5pm, they had made 20 miles. Out of town. Period. So my dad and mom prepared for a rescue mission. I know that sounds silly, but really and truly that's what it amounted to. They were still in the hurricane's path, and would have been in their cars on the highway when it struck. It scared me into tears when I called my dad to get an update, and he told me they would call me back in a minute cause they were trying to get things ready to leave that evening to go and rescue them.

And then, dum-da-dum!! Into the picture comes my hero husband!! After calming me down, he casually announces that Friday is his day off, and did I think he could help my parental units at all? I stared at him for probably a full minute, called my dad back, and all of a sudden there was a plan. My hubby and parents filled the back of my mom's suv with all of the full gas cans they could buy, plus snacks and water, and left literally Thursday night at 8pm. They drove straight to Brenham, and met my sister and aunt just south of there. They met around 4:30am, meaning by that time, not only had my sis and aunt been up for pretty much 24 hours, but they had been on the highway for almost that long. (Thank you Lord they both were in great new vehicles, with no worries about breakdowns, overheating, etc!!!!) After getting everyone a good rest, breakfast, and filling the cars (no thanks to the empty gas pumps there), they all returned back home, with my mom, dad, and hubby now driving the caravan of 3 cars. I have never been so relieved to see someone pull up in my driveway! My parents, hubby and sis made it back driving straight through around 5pm Friday. Unfortunately, one of the victims of the hurricane was my aunt's oldest cat in Gatesville, and she arrived later on Saturday. But hey, they were all safe and sound, and even better, the hurricane didn't directly hit Houston. Phew!

I know it sounds overly dramatic and probably goofy reading it, but until it's your family that's in harm's way...We were all glad they made it, and it was nice to have something positive (Azx3's birthday) to take our minds off of everything!

No comments: